Central Market is an institution here in Austin. One of my absolute favorite discoveries from their vast array of in-house-baked goodies is hands down their Chewy Chocolate Crispy Cookies. Apparently the recipe is a well guarded secret! Luckily I was able to come upon this copycat recipe via Candace Creations. This is a chewy, soft, chocolaty cookie, with a crunch of chopped pecans. Pure Texas, and purely delish!
Central Market-Style Pecan Chewy Chocolate Cookies
• 8 ounces chopped pecans
• 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
• 7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 3 egg whites
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pecans on a cookie sheet and toast for about 8 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.
- Place sugar, cocoa, flour and salt in mixer bowl and stir together.
- Beat in egg whites, one at a time, scrapping bowl.
- Beat in vanilla and continue beating at high speed for 1 minute.
- Stir in cooled, toasted chopped pecans.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches between cookies for spreading. - - Bake 1 sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes, turning sheet halfway though baking time.