get more recipies from self.com
Apple turnovers are perfect when prepping a last-minute holiday dessert. With an easy-to-follow recipe and short bake time, the end result is a delectable looking (and tasty!) treat that will have your guests thinking you were in the kitchen all day long. We won't tell if you don't...
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp apple juice concentrate
- 2 tsp whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 4 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 tbsp confectioners' sugar (optional)
Chocolate Marble Cheesecake
From the February 2008 Issue
Reduced-fat ingredients create a light, creamy cake. Serves 12
- 2 T slivered blanched almonds
- Vegetable Oil cooking spray
- 6 chocolate wafers
- 15 oz. (1 3/4 cup) part skinm ricotta
- 8 oz. lowfat cream cheese room temp.
- 1 cup sugar or splenda
- 1/2 cup lowfat sour cream
- 1 lg. whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 t almond extract
- 2 T all purpose flour
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 T ameretto (if desired)
- 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 t instant espresso powder
- 3 T bittersweet chocolate chips
For crustHeat oven to 350˚. Toast almonds on a small baking sheet for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven; reduce heat to 325˚. Coat an 8" springform pan with cooking spray. Wrap outside of pan in foil to prevent seepage. Process chocolate wafers and almonds in a food processor until fine crumbs. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tbsp crumbs onto bottom of pan (just enough to coat bottom lightly). Shake pan to distribute evenly. Reserve remaining crumbs.
For fillingPuree ricotta in a food processor until smooth, about 1 minute. Add cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, egg, egg whites, almond extract, flour and salt; puree until smooth. Whisk amaretto, if desired (or same amount of hot water), 2 tbsp hot water, cocoa powder and espresso powder in a bowl until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Stir 1 cup plain filling into chocolate mixture. Set aside.
AssemblyPour remaining plain filling into prepared pan. Drizzle chocolate filling in a circular pattern over plain filling. Using a knife, make circular strokes to create swirls in the plain filling. Add 1 inch hot water to a shallow baking pan; place springform pan in baking pan. Bake until cheesecake is firm around the edge and slightly soft in the center, 45 to 55 minutes. Run a knife around inside of pan. Remove foil; let cool on a rack. Chill 6 hours or overnight before removing sides of pan. Press reserved crumbs onto side of cheesecake.